Wednesday 28 April 2010

Let the drawing begin













It's always a good sign when my fingers start itching to draw.

It didn't happen straight away when I arrived at Temple Newsam. Initially, I was overwhelmed by the history of the house and the artifacts; every fact, date, key figure, definition that I didn't know felt like an obstacle between me and the collection.

The Hinton House Bed sparks an interest in me that - well, I'd love to say 'transcends' but perhaps it's more accurate to say - 'distracts me from' this paralysing preoccupation. I think that a deeper knowledge of the history of the textiles and interiors at TN is fundamental to developing this project - what Polly calls my 'obsession with definitions'- but the Hinton House Bed is providing something for me to grab onto with both hands: it's pulling me now, on this journey through time.

No comments:

Post a Comment